Wednesday, February 13, 2013

THE SCULPTURE PROCESS BEGINS WITH THE MAQUETTE

 
 
 
The process for making a large sculpture for me starts with a Maquette  or a smaller clay model of what the sculpture will approximately look like. The model I chose is approximately 20" x 6" x 8".  I want to tell the story of an incident that almost happened to me in 1948.  I was 8 years old and was filled with the desire to fly, as during the war, bombers and war planes flew high above daily on their way to war.  A couple of years later we lived in Poteau, a small town in Eastern Oklahoma. I spotted a couple of wooden crates that looked like the ticket for my aeroplane at Westbrook's Store.  The grocer Mr. Westbrook let me take the crates home.  Soon after I fashioned my plane with a prop and landing gear from an old kitty cart and painted it red.  I enlisted my best friend Ray Martin also 8 years old, Ray and I lifted the air machine to the garage roof, aligned it on the roof peak, I climbed into the cockpit and yelled the command go!!!!!.  Rays legs and feet thrust me forward to launch.
Another voice my DADS... stop right there.  Where do you think you are going.  I just pointed up.
After convincing me to lowering the airplane to the ground he explained to me I needed an engine to turn the prop. I set to work looking for a proper engine.
 
I am offering the bronze sculpture of this as "The Test Flight" in life and smaller sizes.
 
And I thank my dad for me being here today. 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. This story is classic Monty. You evidently were always filled with vision and curiosity and a sense of making it happen.

    ReplyDelete